Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Wallpaper

The past couple of days I haven't needed the extra writing at the end of the day. The weeks following spring break are always the longest and most awful weeks of the school year. It's full of papers every week and reading every night, so I have had plenty to fill the void of missing the blog the past few days.
But a lot has happened.
Erin and I closed on our house Monday without any further hindrance. She has already begun with the painting. Thanks to those of you who may have already come and helped her out with that. She has even planned a painting party for the weekend...so if you find yourself with nothing to do on Saturday evening, be sure and give her a call!
With the new paint comes the joys of wallpaper! It should never have been invented! Curse the human being that thought gluing paper to all of the walls in a house would be a good idea! While the girls have been painting, I have been trying to get the wallpaper off...so we aren't like the previous owners and just paint over the wallpaper. Any advice for a good way to get it off? I truly have been having a miserable time with it!
Believe it or not, I am actually feeling like I am going to be able to fall asleep this evening, so I am gonna cut this short. I really wanted to give the update that the house is underway. Also, as a reminder in case you have already forgotten, NEVER hang wallpaper in your house. I think the only good thing that may have ever or could ever come from wallpaper is.......

yea, their really is nothing good about wallpaper

3 comments:

  1. Ellen and I have removed more wallpaper than I want to remember. It is not fun! If you are lucky, it is cheap wallpaper and that kind comes off well with liberally soaking it with water...and waiting...soaking it again...and waiting..at that point it becomes pretty easy to remove. If it is glossy (clay coated) paper, I have a tool that "perforates" the paper to let the water soak it. Then I use a solution I bought at HD and soak it as above. I find removing wallpaper a lot like removing four bolts on an engine...two come off easily, one is difficult, and the last one a real pain. Good luck! Let me know if you need that tool, bty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...only put water on the wallpaper when it starts coming off, not the drywall, although a little won't hurt it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Trent. He has been trying everything. We have that little tool, and a water can, and the guy at Home Depot told us to use Downy fabric softner and it would work like a charm. Not so much... hopefully the other rooms won't be as bad as this first one...

    ReplyDelete