Saturday, March 20, 2010

Getting too old for this!

My bracket is officially destroyed. And that is all I am going to say about the awful sport of basketball.


Odd how sometimes an hour goes by really quick, and other times it lasts at least an hour and a half. Today was one of those days when 60 seconds was hardly every truly 60 seconds. As we were closing the store this evening, one of the waitresses said to me, "I'm getting too old for this," and I had to agree. We both started working at the restaurant about the same time and I used to beg for as many hours as I could get in a week! There was hardly an hour of the week that I wasn't at the store...by choice! I worked nearly 80 hours a week most summers. Today I worked from 8:00 in the morning to 11:30 at night...and I am beat!
I also cannot remember things like I used to. Back in the good ole days, when I was working 80 hours a week, I could remember all sorts of things. I would see a hundred or so people a day working back in the take-out area, and I could tell you most of their names and what they were most likely to order. I was talking with a table this evening, a really nice middle-aged couple that come in every now and then, that apparently remembered everything we talked about last time. It has probably been 6 months since I have seen them. What made it even worse is the wife could remember my name, yet I had no idea what their names were. Now you may think that is OK because I see hundreds of people in the restaurant every day. But there is another couple that comes in every Friday night, order the same things, and we always have a nice conversation. Once again, they know exactly what my name is but for the life of me I can never remember either of their names. What ever happened to being able to remember every face that I saw in that store?!I'm going to tie this up quickly. Because I am getting too old for this, and my feet hurt, I've got two points to make this evening.
1) What a beautiful thing life becomes when you surround yourself with good people. I have been blessed to have a wonderful group of friends and family (old and new, near and far) that change everything for the better. We went and had dinner with some friends last night and it was an awesome time. Not because the food was so wonderful or because we had the coolest table in the world, (it had a fire pit in the center of the table!) but because we(Erin and I...at least I hope Erin agrees with this)knew that the people that were with us wanted us to be there. And I hope that those that were there know that we wanted them there too.
2) Enough of the sappiness...While I've got three minutes left in the day, Happy first day of spring, it has been a long winter that I think we are all glad is over...and Happy Iranian New Year. My freshly liberated friends Shapour informed me that today is the Iranian New Year...a time for change and a time for improvement. Seems perfect Spring and New Year all bundled into one!

2 comments:

  1. Do you wear a name tag at work? Cuz sometimes I find it easier to remember people's names when it is written on a little piece of plastic stuck to their shirt and I don't remember the last time I told the people at a restaurant my name so you shouldn't feel bad about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They reason they remember your name and the previous conversation has more to do with your gift of listening and relating to all others than anything else. It's one of those characteristics that would not have been part of the "gifted" program from the past. It was great seeing you today at Q Street.

    ReplyDelete