Sunday, April 4, 2010

Sweet Caroline!

I hope that someone else out there just enjoyed watching Neil Diamond belt out "Sweet Caroline"during the middle of the 8th in on the opening day of the greatest sport in the world.

It sure is nice to have baseball back once again! The Braves are opening tomorrow, and as the commercials are saying, "this is the year"! Spring has definitely arrived! In fact today you could have argued that it skipped right over and went right into summer!..and they games back on, I'll be back in a few minutes...

I hope everyone enjoyed their Easter. I certainly enjoyed procrastinating the papers that I needed to get written! 9:30 class was cancelled, so it'll give me something to do in the morning! But for now, once again, baseball season has begun!

As for the day, we spent most of it trying to get Erin moved in. Our plan was to get Erin moved in and ready for tonight to be her first night staying in our new house. The appliances were delivered by Lowe's today, so while Erin organized book shelves and made her bed, I was installing ceiling fans and tried to pretend like I really knew what I was doing. I can proudly say that now I do know what I am doing when a ceiling fan is concerned! Nothing blew up, I was not electrocuted once (which is something that, historically speaking, has plagued my electrical work) and all of the lights turn on and all of the fans spin around.
The big hiccup came when I headed downstairs to the basement to light the pilot light for the water heater. We are having a larger water heater installed in the next few weeks, but Erin was not looking forward to a cold shower at 6:00 AM...and I can't blame her...been there, done that! Of course, as I sat down and checked all of the gas lines to make sure everything was on, found the pilot light, prepped the tank, and felt confident that everything had been done correctly, I lit the match and moved cautiously toward the water tank and....nothing. Absolutely nothing! I tried for a few minutes before realizing that there was no gas going to the tank. So, Erin is bunking at Kelsey and Greg's place for the next few days, at least until we get the new water heater installed and ready to go for her.
The contractors are getting started in the morning. We are hoping that they work ahead of schedule! That is probably not going to happen! But, we can still hope, right? We are really looking forward to getting all of the work finished and getting the house in order...just in time to actually start to have a monthly payment! This month long grace period after closing couldn't be long enough! Once again, any donations can be sent to our new address!
The big event for the past few days was the beginning of the new garden! One of these days I'll get adventurous enough to take some photos and learn how to upload them here...but Shapour and I dug out the foundations for my new garden on Friday! We have a beautiful upper tier, a nice little stone path, and we still have some work today for the lower tier, but it is definitely a garden! Enough to make your average home gardener jealous!
And in one more out, the 2010 baseball season will have begun exactly how I could have hoped...with the Yankees losing! I'm off to enjoy this last out!

1 comment: