Monday, April 18, 2011

High School

So my friend Kate Plummer from high school is getting married in a little over a month. I’m so excited for her, and it’s the first friend from my Lakeside girls that is getting married (besides myself and my sister, Kelsey). I can’t wait to have all the girls back together again for the evening, and to laugh a lot and have a good time. We’ve been getting together more recently for showers and other small events, but it’s been a long time since we have ALL been together. I hope everyone will be there!

Since Kate’s wedding is coming up so soon, it’s got me thinking back to the good ‘ole high school days. It doesn’t seem that long ago, but when I think about how I’ve already been graduated from COLLEGE for 3 years, it really does! I loved high school, while I was in it. I feel like a lot of people hated it or just think of those 4 years as the “awkward years”, but I genuinely had a good time. I had an amazing group of friends (both at Lakeside and the rival school, Greenbrier), and was active in a lot of groups at school and competition cheerleading. As I was thinking back however, I pretty much realized that most things that happened were completely embarassing. HA! Now that it’s been 7 years since graduation, I can look back and laugh, and I literally just shake my head every time I think of them. I thought I would share some of my embarrassing stories, just to reminisce with the world of my “great” high school experience.

Two of my embarrassing moments have to do with white bottoms… sounds weird I know. The first one happened one day when I wore a white skirt to school. I thought it was a super cute outfit (wow… I can’t believe I thought it was super cute… it was a white skirt, maybe halfway to my knees, and a long-sleeved collared shirt from Abercrombie and Fitch with light blue, gray, and white stripes). Anyway, I wore white underwear with it because I figured, “Hey, it’s a white skirt, I’ll wear white underwear”, so I did. Then I went to Trig. As I was walking down the hall, my Trig teacher, good old Mrs. Lancaster, stopped me and said “Do you know that your skirt is see-through??” OMG I thought I would die from embarrassment. I just played it off like it was no big deal, but I was mortified. What did she expect me to do? I didn't have clothes to change into except cheerleading shorts! Those wouldn't have met the dress code for sure. This lead to my next white bottom story…

Thinking I was learning from my first mistake, I decided to wear white linen pants to school one day but NOT wear the same white underwear. Does anyone remember those awesome linen pants from Express that everyone had in a different color? Well, I had white. I decided to wear them one day, but this time instead of white underwear, I went with a little SMALLER white underwear, if you catch my drift. Well, I thought I was fine throughout the whole day, but when I was standing in the commons area after school, my guy friends started to ask me to turn around or stand in the middle of the group or something. Again, I was mortified. I believe I sat down in the commons for a while and then held my backpack behind me as I walked out the door. Ugh, stupid boys!

Speaking of stupid boys, my next story has to do with a boy. I’ll keep the boy stories limited to one, but I could go on for days being embarrassed about boys. So back then I had a freeonlinediary or whatever the website was called. I guess it was sort of like the blog of 2002. Anyway, I can’t remember if it started out private and then I made it public, or if it started out public and then I made it private. Either way at one point I was writing in it just for my own journaling purposes, and only giving my friend Carty the password so she could read it, too. She probably never wanted to read it because it was always about one boy, who we won’t name. If you knew me, you know who it was. So at whatever point I decided to make it to make it public, I still wrote all of my thoughts and feelings and did not hold anything back. I mean anything. I wrote about every moment that made me giddy or the opposite… everything that should be kept personal and in a real diary. I thought that no one would read it, so it wouldn’t matter. One day I found out that not only did my boy read them all, so did all of his friends. Luckily none of them ever said anything to me about it, but just knowing they had read it was mortifying. What was wrong with me, really? Why would I ever put those moments that gave me "tingles" (which was such a popular way to describe liking a boy back then... now it sounds so dumb!!) out for the world to read??

The last embarrassing story is about cheerleading that you probably won’t think is embarrassing unless you were a cheerleader. Anyway when I was a freshman, freshmen were not allowed to be on Varsity competition. When I was a sophomore, it was still hard to make Varsity. I was moved onto Varsity as a sophomore and I thought I was so special. Pretty quickly after I was moved up, they had me try flying. I was nervous as crap. I didn’t cheer in middle school so this was my first time doing competition stuff. When I was doing my first flying gig I was up in the air and they asked me to “come down”. From what I had seen them do, I thought they wanted me to do what is really called a “cradle”. You know, where the bases (the girls holding the flyer) pop the flyer up and then catch her? So instead of just simply coming down (by them just lowering me), I cradled. Basically I just fell on top of them. Some of them sort of giggled and others were real nice about it. Wow… I felt like such an idiot. Luckily they brushed it off and I was a flyer for that season.

Good times were had I swear, but when I think back in high school, I can always remember the embarassing things! haha

So what embarrassing stories do you have from high school? I cannot be alone in this…

No comments:

Post a Comment