Monday, February 21, 2011

My Oscar Review

So since the Oscars are coming up this weekend, I've been trying to see as many of the "Best Movie" flicks that are nominated as possible. I LOVE awards season, and obviously the Oscars are the best. There are always so many movies that are nominted that I haven't seen and then I just get mad when they win. Ha! So I have been trying to see the ones that at least seem somewhat interesting to me. So here are my thoughts thusfar:

The Social Network:
Pretty good. It keeps you hanging on throughout the whole movie. I felt like it was really well made that way... keeping you holding on for what would happen next. I think the guy who plays Mark Zuckerburg was really good, and the friend was pretty good, too. I don't really see why he (the friend) is nominated for an award, though. I mean, good acting for sure, but what stood out over other actors in other movies? I'm not sure.

Toy Story 3:
I mean this is an obvious favorite. Made me cry... sob actually. Can't beat a Disney/Pixar movie. Especially a Toy Story movie. Brilliant.

The Kids Are All Right:
Not my favoriate, at all. I think it was an alright message in the end (marriage is hard, so work at it... at least that's the message I got), but it just didn't keep me intrigued throughout the whole film. Too much sex. I don't really like movies that show the act of sex all the much because I feel like you can get the point across that sex is about to happen without actually showing sex. If I wanted to watch that, I'd watch that. But I don't. Anyway, not very good. And I definitely don't get why Mark Ruffalo is nominated for anything, but whatev.

The Fighter:
I liked it. Not my favorite movie ever, but entertaining. It's pretty predictable, but it's funny throughout and shows real issues. I know they're saying Christian Bale is going to win for Best Supporting Actor, and I can definitely see why. He did a really good job playing a crack addict. They should have had Charlie Sheen play the role. He would have DEFINITELY won!

Inception:
Really good. It's crazy to me that someone could come up with a story like that in their own head. Keeps you guessing and wanting more. I think Leo should have definitely been nominated, and the movie in general should have also been nominated for a ton more awards. I hope they don't get snubbed, but I don't think it'll be winning Best Movie.

I have saved my favorite for last...

The King's Speech:
SO SO SO good! It's funny, sad, and makes you cry! It's so well done, and so well acted, and by far my favorite. I am voting for this one to win Best Movie and Best Actor for sure. I think Geoffery Rush should win for Best Supporting Actor, too, but they'll give it to Bale. It's a must-see even if you don't care about the Oscars!

I don't want to see Blank Swan, but Natalie Portman is my pick for Best Acress because even from the previews I can tell it would a hard role to play. I also don't have a real desire to see 127 Hours, True Grit, and I have no idea what Winter's Bone is about. I guess we'll see what happens on Sunday!

Happy Oscars everyone!

1 comment:

  1. We're all with you on The King's Speech! GREAT reviews, Trent! It was fun to read your blog post! Steve is wanting us to get Inception now. :) I think it'll creep me out... !

    ReplyDelete