Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Music and Life

Do you ever have songs that remind you a specific day, or mood, or place? I definitely do... with a lot of songs actually.

Today this came to my mind while driving home from work and listening to the first Colbie Caillat CD. The whole CD brought me back to the fall of 2009 when I was interning at the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Immediately I imagined myself driving my brother's old Ford Explorer with it's ripped leather seats and the broken cruise control button barely hanging on to the steering wheel, on my way to MAW. I drove his car every other month (that's a story in itself for another time that you should know if you know mine and Kelsey's car situation throughout college) while my brother, Steven, was living in Chicago. I could literally smell the way the Make-A-Wish office smelled, and I thought about my life at that point in time. It was actually a pretty hard time that I was going through with a pretty bad breakup and my confusing feelings for Trent (give me some slack... Trent wanted us to start dating the day my ex-boyfriend and I broke up. I was a little confused and not too eager to jump into a new relationship). Colbie helped me through that time with her lyrics, and if someday I meet her again (yeah, I met her once... she told me she liked my purse) I will let her know how therapeutic her songs were to me. Anyway, I enjoyed going back to that time and thinking about the great time I had at Make-A-Wish, and how I am happy to have gotten through my mini quarter life crisis to where I am today.

I also have a few other CDs/songs that bring me to specific places and times in my life. The newest Boys Like Girls cd reminds me of the hunt for a house to buy with Trent. It was a new CD to me when we first started looking, and I got the know the songs throughout the hunting process. I can still smell the houses when I listen to that CD, and some songs remind me of specific houses. Weird how that happens.

The song 3 by Britney Spears, which I hate, also reminds me of one particular house that we looked at. We got lost in the neighborhood on the way out and that song was playing on the radio.

Just a little look into my train of thought today in the car. I'll leave you with the lyrics of Colbie's song that was my "song" for Trent during that period in my life.

Feelings Show:
You told me
You'd wait here patiently but
I wonder if he's kidding
Well maybe he could be serious now
Maybe not
Maybe not
Because'

Love is crazy
Pretty baby
Take it real slow
My feelings show
All you have to do
Is never ever let it go
My feelings show
And I want you to know

I'm sorry it's taking me so long
To find out what I'm feeling
I wonder if it will come to me
Maybe not
Maybe not
Because'

Love is crazy
Pretty baby
Take it real slow
My feelings show
All you have to do
Is never ever let it go
My feelings show
And I want you to know
My feelings show

I want you to know

What I'm trying to say is that
I'm feeling a change and
I'll let it take all over
If you need time away
I won't ask you to stay
But I don't want to lose you

Love is crazy
Pretty baby
Take it real slow
My feelings show
All you have to do
Is never ever let it go
My feelings show

1 comment:

  1. I still have the Colbie CD you burned for me!!! Did listening to it make you think of silent auction programs and your overly demanding supervisor??? :)
    K

    ReplyDelete